This beautiful medieval village clinging to the dizzying cliffs overlooking the Siagne River is well worth the detour, if only for its wooded hills and views of the Maures and Estérel mountains. This site has appealed to humans since the Neolithic Period, as evidenced by the many dolmens, and was colonized by the Romans, who grew wheat here. Saint-Cézaire-sur-Siagne was dependent on the Lérins Abbey until the 12th century, and then was a stronghold of seigniorial families. In certain periods of history, it enjoyed a thriving economy driven by its flour and (famous) oil mills, and even had paper mills in the 19th century on the banks of the Siagne. This wild and impetuous river flows 300 meters below and is home to protected flora and fauna. The village holds many cultural events throughout the year and is also a paradise for sports enthusiasts, with numerous trails, abundant nature, and gems like the magnificent Les Malines rock-climbing site.
- La Grotte de Saint-Cézaire: This impressive cave, discovered in 1890, plunges down to 40 meters beneath the earth and was discovered in the late 19th century by a farmer clearing his field. Deeper excavation revealed a great chasm, and stairs were soon installed to open the cave to visitors. Renowned for the variety of its concretions in magnificent colors, the cave has been further enhanced by a multicolored luminous waterfall that highlights the bottom of the chasm. (more information)
- The Notre-Dame de Sardaigne chapel: This chapel, which dates from the late 12th century, was built by the Lérins monks, who at that time owned most of the village lands. It was the parish church until the construction of the current church, which was consecrated on May 7, 1722. The architectural ensemble of the Notre-Dame de Sardaigne chapel, listed as an historic monument, is of rare elegance, with its cul-de-four apse and nave with a pointed barrel vault. Inside are also two reliquary busts and a Gallo-Roman sarcophagus.
- Les Puits de la Vierge: Located below the school, this rare ensemble of nine wells began taking form in the 15th century and was named the “Wells of the Virgin” in 1865, when the column dedicated to the Virgin was built. Four of the nine wells are covered with a hemispherical vault and their contents are potable for human consumption. The other five, surrounded by troughs and with hooks in the stone, were designed to provide water for animals.
- Hiking, rock climbing
- Horseback riding, tennis, archery
- La Grotte de Saint Cézaire cave, with a treetop adventure park (more information)
- The Chèvrerie du Bois d’Amon goat farm
- The Rucher de Saint Cézaire apiary
Key annual events:
In June: Contemporary Art Day
In July: Les Rencontres Musicales de Saint Cézaire music festival, Medieval Festival
In August: Jazz Festival
In September: Saint Ferréol patron saint day