The carillon on Rue de l’Oratoire was installed in late summer 2012.
It is comprised of twelve bells that chime every hour (10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.), playing the celebrated Provençal anthem “Se Canto.”
At noon, it puts on a three-minute “mini-concert” for spectators. For this musical interlude, the bells play another famous tune from Provençal culture, “Coupo Santo.”
The carillon is located on the square in front of the chapel on the Rue de l’Oratoire, a street noteworthy in its own right, as it has been home to many key religious, political, and economic figures.
For example, it was in this chapel that, in 1791, Saint-Honorat Island, off the coast of Cannes, was sold at auction.
In eras gone by, a very active free commune thrived along this street, as well.
The carillon is yet another step taken toward revitalization of the old town and restoration of this shopping street.