The village is tucked around the foot of Gars mountain at the confluence of the Estéron and many valleys, in an isolated, untamed natural setting.
Gars is a tranquil getaway, far from the bustle of the world, an inspiring place of surprising architecture, its village houses packed tightly together, shoulder to shoulder, beneath the mountainside. Water is here in abundance, cascading through the middle of the village, as multiple springs feed the Roman-era fountains and washhouses.
− The Saint Sauveur parish church. Dating from the 12th and 13th centuries, the Saint Sauveur parish church was attached to the priory of the Lérins monks. This structure, listed as an historic monument since 1936, is typical of monastic buildings in the area. It has a single nave with three bays, a double bell tower, and a pointed-arch doorway.
− The Célestin Freinet Ecomuseum. This ecomuseum has two exhibit rooms, one devoted to ancient tools and the other focusing on famed Gars native son Célestin Freinet. This man invented a new teaching method, the Freinet pedagogy, still in use today.
− The old mill. Beneath the Célestin Freinet Ecomuseum is an old mill, now renovated. The operation of the press, vertical millstone, and horizontal wheel is explained in detail to visitors in descriptive panels in front of each machine.